65 I've given up

I just got a 2009 kx 65 that had a large gash in the cylinder wall so it only had about 50 psi compression and the stator coil was shot so it had no spark. So I bought a new stator for it and I temporarily filled the gash with jb weld and got the compression up to 80psi but it didn't start, and I only got some pops and bangs. So I bought a new wiesco top end and athena cylinder for it, but when I did a compression test, it had almost the exact same compression of 80 psi, however, it felt like it had a little more compression than before. So I cleaned out the oem carb that came with it, and now it will idle with the choke, and only rev up slightly before studdering or stalling. Without the choke it will idle temporarily for about 10 seconds before studdering and stalling. Thinking it was the reeds I pulled the oem ones and saw there was a small gap on the bottom pedels, so I flipped the pedels and made sure they sealed, but it didn't change anything. So I got new vforce 3 reeds for it from motosport, but that also didn't change anything. I also gapped the BP8ES spark plug from ~.24 to .50, .55, and .60mm, and did the same with a new BR9ES, but it also didn't change much. The timing marks are also where they should be, and I've advanced and retarted the timing to the other 2 timing marks and it still didn't change anything. Going back to the carb, I got 2 new chinese carbs from amazon and tried a 190, 200, and 230 main it them, along with the stock one, and changed the c clip to all the positions on the needle on each. I also adjusted the air fuel screw to all the positions I can, but with every adjustment, they all have the same results and same problems. I also tried new gas and different mix ratios from 30:1 to 40:1 with klotz r-50, but nothing changes much. I'm about all out of options and was wondering what you guys think.Playlist of videos running.

SRAD97750

Staff member
If you let it idle for a few minutes, does it rev up at all or same instant death issue?
Seems like the choke is helping it run consistently at idle, making me think the throttle opening is too lean for it.
Are the carburetors identical to the stock one?
Does the needle jet protrude into the venturi from the bottom like a half moon?
Don't give up, you've got the thing started consistently.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

If you let it idle for a few minutes, does it rev up at all or same instant death issue?
Seems like the choke is helping it run consistently at idle, making me think the throttle opening is too lean for it.
Are the carburetors identical to the stock one?
Does the needle jet protrude into the venturi from the bottom like a half moon?
Don't give up, you've got the thing started consistently.
It pretty much does the same thing whether its cold or hot, it seems to rev slightly higher when its warm but its hard to tell. Its also harder to start when its hot. One of the new carbs is almost identical to the stock one and the stock jets fit in it, but running it with that doesn't make a difference. The needle jet does stick out in the middle by about 1mm.

Attachments

• 17195252609554437476771044031272.jpg
    17195252609554437476771044031272.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 3

SRAD97750

Staff member
That's a tough one. Dies like a kill switch when you touch the throttle.
You are getting the same results from both carburetors?
They are very clean, blown out with compressed air through all the body ports?

For carb settings
I'd try the idle mixture screw at one turn from lightly seated.
Probably start with the needle clip in the middle, and the smaller main jet should be fine for testing.
I would let it get as warmed up as possible, and try to flutter the throttle to see if I could get the revs up slowly.

Hard to diagnose over the internet, unfortunately. Good Luck.

SRAD97750

Staff member
One more thought is that your exhaust could be plugged. I don't think it needs an exhaust to run, it'll be loud when testing. It obviously won't make any power without the pipe, but it should rev up.

One more thought is that your exhaust could be plugged. I don't think it needs an exhaust to run, it'll be loud when testing. It obviously won't make any power without the pipe, but it should rev up.
I can't get it to start without the expansion chamber, however, I borescoped it and there isn't an blockages, and I can stick the borescope all the way through. I cleaned out the pipe as well but it didnt change anything.

For carb settings
Probably start with the needle clip in the middle, and the smaller main jet should be fine for testing.
I would let it get as warmed up as possible, and try to flutter the throttle to see if I could get the revs up slowly.

Yeah, I have the same results with all the carbs. I think I used all of them in the videos. The last 2 videos have the chinese carbs and the first 2 is the oem carb. I tested all 3 carbs with 190, 200, and 230 jets with 2 different needles that I set to all positions on them, and it is pretty much the same everytime. Even when the radiator and jug gets pretty hot, fluttering the throttle hardly does anything, it just studders and dies when it goes over a certain rpm, I'd say 1000-1500rpm. Plus it doesn't rev up much when I give it throttle, mainly just gets louder. I can rev it a little higher with the choke, without the choke, it will just studder and I cant keep it running for long. I've also tried the air fuel screw in basically every position, but it doesn't really seem to affect it whether its a half turn out or 4 turns out.

For carb settings

For carb settings

SRAD97750

Staff member
Thanks for the thorough responses and videos.
Weird. Not sure what that's a symptom of if all 3 carburetors do the same. Electrical...
I'm going to think about it for a while and probably circle back to this with some other ideas for you to run with.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. -BIG DAN:thumb: