The Guns Thread

What parts did you use?

My upper is a BCM Midlength 16" Barrel combo. And my lower is an Anderson stripped lower with a PSA parts kit + Magpul MOE trigger guard and grip. My stock/buffer tube is from PSA as well. My handguard is a Magpul MOE midlength, and my rear sight is a Magpul MBUS rear flip sight. I spent way too much on it... $1200 :eek: But, it shoots great. Far more accurate and better running than my previous AR.

I still need to add a red-dot and some other fun accessories.

Left to add; Vortex Strikefire Red, Magpul BAD lever, and some foregrip (angled, probably)

My 21st birthday is in July, and I am going to be looking for a CCW, What are some suggestions?

~ not absurdly priced
~Fit Large hands

My 21st birthday is in July, and I am going to be looking for a CCW, What are some suggestions?

~ not absurdly priced
~Fit Large hands

Since you have large hands, you might want a compact instead of a subcompact.
If you want to sip that Glockoolaid... there's the G19!

When you go to buy one just buy from a good dealer, get a trusted name, and one that fits in your hand.

James...give us some of your CCW knowledge!! By the way...how many inches do you go up on your pants size to accommodate the pistol/holster?

How are you guys getting away with carrying this stuff? It's a no no here in the mid-Atlantic states.
just depends on the state. im in cali so its a fucking pipe dream for me :/

i need to look into it tho because someone told me that you are allowed to carry when you are on BLM land. need to look into it.

How are you guys getting away with carrying this stuff? It's a no no here in the mid-Atlantic states.

I cant, legally. When I turn 18, I'm allowed to open carry my pistol. When I turn 21, I can get a concealed carry permit and carry it concealed. I've got a long time!

Virginia is a "shall issue" state.

just depends on the state. im in cali so its a fucking pipe dream for me :/

i need to look into it tho because someone told me that you are allowed to carry when you are on BLM land. need to look into it.
I cant, legally. When I turn 18, I'm allowed to open carry my pistol. When I turn 21, I can get a concealed carry permit and carry it concealed. I've got a long time!

Virginia is a "shall issue" state.

Same for me here Trav.... though your gun laws are better than ours I think, Atleast better than NJ's gun laws...

I remember Florida used to have a law against carrying guns..... loaded or unloaded and it was almost as bad as NJ... then they passed a law allowing citizens over the age of 40 to carry a concealed weapon and crime dropped by 50% over night... Amazing..

James

Staff member

~ not absurdly priced
~Fit Large hands

I'd suggest going to the local gun shop and get a feel for some of them. If there's a gun store with a range, that's even better as you can usually test fire different models.

One of the biggest decisions you'll have is choosing your caliber/round. Caliber will be debated nonstop. My CCW is a .40 while my home defense/target is a 9mm. 9mm is a great round for target as it's quite a bit cheaper to shoot.

One note on choosing your caliber, get one that has a 'comfortable' recoil so that you don't flinch while pulling the trigger as you're anticipating a painful recoil. Remember a good hit with a .22 is better then solid miss with a .45

A JHP (jacketed hollow point) round is preferred over a FMJ (full metal jacket), for self defense, as there's less chance of over penetration. JHP's cost a lot more though, which is why my magazines are loaded with JHP rounds (for SD) and then whenever I go to the range I swap them out with cheaper FMJ rounds. I'd suggest shooting some JHP's though just so that you're familiar with them.

Regarding different gun manufacturers, everyone has their own opinion, I'd just make sure that you get one of the top brands (there are some crap guns out there). I like my Glocks for their simplicity. They fire in virtually any condition (search YouTube for proof) and have no external safety to hinder you. They do have 3 internal safeties that prevent the gun from firing unless you pull the trigger (the only time your finger should be inside the trigger guard is if you're firing). Both my handguns are in a Blackhawk Level 2 Duty holster (hard plastic) with a round chambered. http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level-2-Duty-SERPA-Holster,1172,1412.htm

A quality gun will last a really long time, so look at it as an investment. I think I have ~$650 in my G27 (.40) with night sights (HIGHLY recommend) and a couple extra mags.

Since you have large hands, you might want a compact instead of a subcompact.
If you want to sip that Glockoolaid... there's the G19!

When you go to buy one just buy from a good dealer, get a trusted name, and one that fits in your hand.

James...give us some of your CCW knowledge!! By the way...how many inches do you go up on your pants size to accommodate the pistol/holster?
If it's primary purpose is CCW I'd still get the subcompact and if needed get an extended grip magazine that gives you the pinky grip back.

G27.jpg

I utilize the point-&-shoot method (another topic that can be debated until the sun comes up), so the loss of the pinky grip isn't a problem as I shoot with my middle finger.

If/when I do carry it's usually in my inside coat pocket or during the summer in the small of my back with a leather Galco IWB holster, so no I don't change my pant size. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=907&GunID=51

James

Staff member
I've been licensed by the State of Indiana to carry a handgun since I've been 18 1/2. Indiana is a shall issue state meaning that they have to issue a permit unless your record prohibits you from obtaining one. Unlike some states (ie. Cali) where it's up to them to issue one or not. You have to be 21 to buy a hundgun or ammo though, yeah figure that one out. :lol:

In California it depends on which county you live in. I'm in Los Angeles county and a CCW is not possible. For Travace in San Diego county it's almost as bad. About 40 miles north of my home is Kern county and they are basically shall issue.

James had the best suggestion. Go to a range that has a decent rental selection and policy. Find what works for you. Handguns are like dirt bike tires, what works for one might not for another.

I've been licensed by the State of Indiana to carry a handgun since I've been 18 1/2. Indiana is a shall issue state meaning that they have to issue a permit unless your record prohibits you from obtaining one. Unlike some states (ie. Cali) where it's up to them to issue one or not. You have to be 21 to buy a hundgun or ammo though, yeah figure that one out. :lol:

Yeah, 21 to buy a handgun here as well. NJ pulls alot of its laws from the Cali record books. Now my Father had a federal CCW and packed heat up until we cremated him..... I never looked but it may be in his basket of personal belongings my sister sent me....

Now that I think about it.... he sent me my S&W through the mail in a regular post office shipping envelope labeled "Sensitive Machine Parts" , pre 9/11... When I went to register it I was told by the police the weapon was illegal in NJ but since I inherited it from a Florida resident and didnt purchase it I was allowed to keep it... :lol:

541025_10151442547276833_1995276082_n.jpg

224799_489972267721635_1542742080_n.jpg