The Guns Thread

I bought a red-dot 1x25 sight from Walmart. Seems pretty solid for a cheap Walmart scope. It's got red/green illumination and 4-reticles. I will need a sight riser though, but I dont think I can afford two risers, so I want to see if one would work like this set up:

singlemount.jpg

It seemed pretty solid like that. I wouldn't expect it to be enough to suvive a fall. Has anyone only ran one ring mount before? Or possibly use the rear ring mount and run the sight over hanging the rail a little bit so it wont be so congested up there.

Just a thought. I could suck it up and do it right...but that's never fun. :smirk:

James

Staff member
I bought a red-dot 1x25 sight from Walmart. Seems pretty solid for a cheap Walmart scope. It's got red/green illumination and 4-reticles. I will need a sight riser though, but I dont think I can afford two risers, so I want to see if one would work like this set up:

singlemount.jpg

It seemed pretty solid like that. I wouldn't expect it to be enough to suvive a fall. Has anyone only ran one ring mount before? Or possibly use the rear ring mount and run the sight over hanging the rail a little bit so it wont be so congested up there.

Just a thought. I could suck it up and do it right...but that's never fun. :smirk:
That doesn't look very solid, plus can you even see through it, that front sight looks to be in the way. :noidea:

That doesn't look very solid, plus can you even see through it, that front sight looks to be in the way. :noidea:
That front site should be able to fold down, not sure why it is up to begin with, so the scope may be usable but I agree that it looks flimsy.

Yup. The front sight can be used to co-witness with the red-dot. Then I've got the BUIS (back-up iron sights), just incase of red-dot malfunction or dead battery, ect. I only have a flip-up rear, no front flip. I cant buy a new gas block and flip up at the moment.

Our military uses the same method, as far as I know.

That front site should be able to fold down, not sure why it is up to begin with, so the scope may be usable but I agree that it looks flimsy.

This one aint the fold down type, most aint like that from what I've seen. Our military uses fixed front sights, and most civilian AR's are fixed too. Of course a lot of companys do have models with a gasblock/picatinny instead of a fixed front sight.

I actually just picked up new ring mounts today. Picked up some Hawke Optics 30mm High rings. The red-dot is easily visible. And the co-witnessing is pretty good. I can look through my BUIS straight through the red-dot just fine now. It's a pretty sweet set up now!
Since I'm going to be trying the co-witnessing method, the red dot should be sighted in fairly good. I just had to look through the rear sight and then set the dot on top of the front sight. I understand they are completely different animals, but that should get me in the ballpark.

Here she is.

reddot.jpg

James

Staff member
This one aint the fold down type, most aint like that from what I've seen. Our military uses fixed front sights, and most civilian AR's are fixed too. Of course a lot of companys do have models with a gasblock/picatinny instead of a fixed front sight.
Yeah mine's also a fixed front. Even with my high mount I can still see the front sight if I'm at 2x or under, I find it distracting. :bonk:

Yeah mine's also a fixed front. Even with my high mount I can still see the front sight if I'm at 2x or under, I find it distracting. :bonk:

Yeah! I'm sure it will be distracting after awhile. How about a piston conversion kit and a front flip? :smirk: That'd be sweet.

James

Staff member
The other day I was driving through town behind another car and it ended up turning right at the next intersection. While it was turning there was another car that was waiting to onto the street I was on. That's when I noticed something sticking out of the rear window of the car that was waiting to turn. All I saw was an arm with a gun pointed at the turning car. As I'm reaching for my gun I noticed the orange tip on the barrel and realize that it's just a kid with an air soft gun. :foul: :rant: WTF is wrong with people?

The other day I was driving through town behind another car and it ended up turning right at the next intersection. While it was turning there was another car that was waiting to onto the street I was on. That's when I noticed something sticking out of the rear window of the car that was waiting to turn. All I saw was an arm with a gun pointed at the turning car. As I'm reaching for my gun I noticed the orange tip on the barrel and realize that it's just a kid with an air soft gun. :foul: :rant: WTF is wrong with people?

Wow... You should have fired off a couple rounds and scared the shit out of him! :lol: