What did you do to your bike today?

I know of one KX450 of the first round that had a rod stretch and was probably a millisecond from getting really expensive when it got shutoff. the piston went as far as hitting valves. the rest from then on seem to be very reliable in stock form. But again, compared to the yamahas and the hondas they are kind of rare.

My plan is to rebuild it and race it one more year at minimum but yet I'm always paying attention to sales and incentives from Yamaha, but its certainly not because the kx is a bad bike, I'm quite impressed with it in every respect.

I'd imagine with the gytr race kit the wr is the same as the fx, but you get lights, fans, computer. But the fx is cheaper and more ready to go out of the box

Somewhere I read that the wr is green sticker approved in calif, and has more tamper proof electronics. The yz and the fx both tune with the same device. anyway, it his how I recall what I read. That and a more race tuned suspension comes on the fx. Getting a suspension reworked is so standard now days, I am not sure it works into the decision quotient at all.

Yeah, I tend to like my suspension softer than the status quo anyway. Basically if I can't get it where I want it with the right springs and clicker adjustments I take it in. The fx would be race ready for about $500 less than the wr

I raced mine (passed 100 hours too) as best as I could, yesterday during practice I went down pretty hard, and I thought it was just the wind getting knocked out of me but after pissing blood all yesterday afternoon and this morning I think it was a little more serious than that, bruised kidney more than likely. I did the best I could though, every bump or such was a source of great discomfort, at the start of my last lap I broke the brake lever so between not feeling good and no front brake, I decided to call it. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll take the doctors orders and take it easy

Last edited:
Yeah, I tend to like my suspension softer than the status quo anyway. Basically if I can't get it where I want it with the right springs and clicker adjustments I take it in. The fx would be race ready for about $500 less than the wr

I think I have played with air forks longer than anyone I know. First was in 1974 and right away I decided I liked them for adjustability. In no time at all I decided I still liked springs, but wanted to start the day with the forks stiffer than I would want them later. Damping was so primative then that it didn't have a downside. For a long time I noticed that if you read the suggested damping settings that came with the "set up" suspension companies and set your stock ones to their suggested specs, it was hard to tell the difference.